Fire Inspection Guidelines for Businesses
Call the Business Licensing Department at 801-546-1241 to schedule a fire inspection on any new business. The following items are required to be corrected/installed prior to a commercial business license inspection by the Fire Department.
- A minimum class 2A:10BC (5 pounds) fire extinguisher is required in all businesses.
- All fire extinguishers are required to be serviced and tagged by a licensed contractor on a yearly basis.
- b. The fire extinguisher is required to be hung no higher than 5 feet from the top of the extinguisher to the floor and a minimum of 4 inches off the floor.
- c. There shall be a fire extinguisher for every 75 feet of travel distance.
- The use of extension cords for permanent power sources is prohibited. The use of a power strip with circuit breaker protection is allowed as long as the appliances being powered do not overload the electrical strip.
- All electrical outlets, light switches, junction boxes and other related electrical wiring must have all cover plates on and be in good working condition.
- Storage of combustible or flammable items is not allowed in furnace rooms, mechanical rooms, or electrical rooms.
- All electrical circuit breakers are required to be labeled in a manner that will indicate where and what the breaker services.
- All blank spaces within an electrical panel must be covered with a cover plate or a blank circuit breaker.
- The facility’s address must be placed on the building in such a position as to be plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property. The lettering is to be a minimum of 4 inches in height.
- An evacuation plan must be developed and available at the inspection.
- If more than one exit is required, all exit signs must be working and have a battery back-up system or be self-luminous (i.e. atomic-or nuclear-powered).
You may call the Kaysville Fire Department 801-544-2860 with any questions concerning this information. All items listed above must be code compliant prior to the inspection. If these items are not completed before the inspection appointment, the business license will be denied.
There is no separate fire inspection fee - it is included with the business license application fee.