We appreciate your interest and encourage your involvement in the municipal election process. Please note that although we strive to keep this information current, election laws change regularly and rapidly.
Further information regarding the 2021 Municipal Election will be posted as it is received. You can also visit: https://vote.utah.gov/ for more information. Informational packets will be available at a later date at the City Recorder's Office for those seeing to run for candidacy.
Municipal Elections in Utah are every two years. There are two (2) city council positions and the Mayoral position to be voted on this year:
- Two (2) City Council positions (4-year term), January 2022 - January 2026
- Mayoral position (4-year term), January 2022 - January 2026
Declaration of Candidacy
An individual seeking to become a candidate for a municipal office shall file a declaration of candidacy to the City Recorder between June 1 and June 7, 2021 during regular business hours. A $100 filing fee is required to file.
The constitutional and statutory qualification requirements for municipal offices are:
- Be a United States citizen.
- The person is a registered voter in the municipality.
- The person will be at least 18 years old at the time of the next election.
- The person has been a legal resident of the municipality for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
- Any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to vote or hold elective office is restored as provided by statute.
For more on how to register to vote and run for municipal office, please visit the Lt. Governor's Website.